Icebreakers and First Week of School Activities with Nearpod
This week, Pamela Levine shared about icebreakers to use with Nearpod and why it’s important to incorporate technology into the first week of school, on the education technology blog, Free Technology for Teachers.
Although many are gearing up for graduations and summer break, it’s never too early to start thinking about the next first week of school. Recently I shared about one of my favorite icebreakers to use with Nearpod and why it’s important to incorporate technology into the first week of school, in this post on the Free Technology for Teachers blog.
The “1+1=1” icebreaker involves combining two objects to design and describe a new invention, and inspires creativity and collaboration while familiarizing students with Nearpod for later use throughout the school year. Nearpod’s ‘Draw it’ tool is great for this activity: it gives students a canvas on which to draw and insert images, and enables me to collect and share their work in real-time. Students get a kick out seeing each other’s 1+1=1 inventions projected on the screen. Alongside engaging with the activity, students learn processes for connecting to, interacting with, and submitting work on Nearpod. I also use this time to establish device usage cues and norms (such as “screens up/screens down”).
Here are more back to school icebreaker ideas:
- Icebreaker: Getting to Know You: K-5
- Icebreaker: Storytelling: K-5
- Icebreaker: Two Things About Me: K-5
- Template: All About Me
- Back to School Ice Breakers K-5
- SEL: Warm Up: Gratitude Jar
- Social Emotional Temperature Check: Elementary
- Icebreaker: Unique & Common: 6-12
- Icebreaker: Mystery Event: 6-12
- Icebreaker: Two Objects: 6-12
- Back to School Ice Breakers 6-12
- Getting to Know Me
- SEL: Warm Up: Gratitude Board
- Social Emotional Temperature Check: Secondary
Nearpod’s award-winning platform is used by thousands of schools around the globe, transforming classroom engagement.